So I called today to register for my Childbirth class. I was extremely excited because this is finally starting to feel real, I am more than half way done with this pregancy.
Let's say I was excited until I received the confirmation email; "Dear Mr and Mrs Vonderscheer......". Those five words made me stop and think, is this something I am going to have to deal with from now on? I was just going to ignore the assumption until an amazing woman pointed out that I should not have to put up with the narrow mindedness of others: Thanks Mom.
So with that vote of confidence I replied to the email and the Director of the Franciscan Health system and pointed out that not every individual who enrolls in one of their childbirth classes is apart of a married couple. I realize that they are a Catholic organization, but one aspect of my faith I embrace is the acceptance of all.
In today's world we need to me understanding an open minded.
Guess it's time to get back to work.
1 comment:
As a Childbirth educator I have become very sensitive to this topic. Using the word coach, birth partner or support person rather than assuming the "dad" is in the picture. All new mothers deserve courtesy, respect and sensitivity...especially sensitivity. You are right Andrea, you do not have to put up with that. You are already a good mom. Already setting a wonderful example for your baby by advocating for yourself.
Post a Comment