Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Week in Florida


So I have spent the last 6 days in Clearwater Beach, Florida.  Before you start to complain that I got to spend part of February in Florida, look at the weather reports for the last 6 days.  I was lucky if the temp reach 60. I did not pack for the weather.  Regardless of the crapy weather I have a very good 6 days.

I am actually here on business at a NACADA conference; or at least I though it was a conference.  Silly me, I actually had "homework" to complete.  The symposium was actually on two subjects, student retention and Advising administration.  I am actually returning to Joint-Base Lewis McChord with some action plans to implement.  My main goal is to develop a relationship with the advisors at FSC.  Let's see if I still have a job in six months. :)

Another bonus for this trip is that I actually got a chance to talk to an admissions advisor for the Grad program program I want to start.  I asked about the admissions test, undergrad GPA and the program in general.  There is a way to start with out taking the test and without my GPA be reviewed; I can start with the certificate and then transfer right over to the Masters.  The only downside is that is that based on Financial Aid rules you can not utilize FA for a certificate, only a degree.  So the certificate is 15 credit hours of course work at $338 a credit so about $5000 for the certificate.  So now the decision I have to make is do I take the MAT and see if I can get admitted directly into the Grad program or do I start out at the certificate level and pay out of pocket.

I am tired of decisions; but then what would life be without decisions.

No comments: